Pain Relief During The Winter
With temperatures dropping, many people wonder if the cold weather effects their joints. Believe it or not, it can! Due to the effects of barometric pressure changes on the body, some people experience an increase of pain in their joints when the temperature drops.
So what can you do to alleviate the pain? It’s simple! Here are 5 things you can do to relieve your pain when your joints act up in the cold weather.
It’s important to wear lots of layers such as long sleeves, jackets, gloves, tights, leggings and more when it’s cold outside and keep your achy joints warm.
Staying hydrated is key to staying active. Even mild dehydration can make a person more sensitive to pain. Be sure you are getting the recommended amount of water every day to keep your joints pain free.
When the temperature outside declines, so does most people’s motivation to work out. However, it is important for people with joint pain to continue their daily exercises. The more active you are, the better your physical function will be. In order to avoid the frigid temperatures and to stay active, develop a workout plan that can completed indoors.
Are you getting enough vitamin D? Low levels of vitamin D are a possible cause for sensitivity in your joints. Discuss with your primary care physician if you think Vitamin D supplements could benefit you.
If you’re in pain, try a warm bath or exercising in a heated pool to relieve your joint pain.
Don’t let your joint pain affect your daily routine. The physicians of Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic provide treatment options, both surgical and non-surgical, to help you find relief.
About the Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic and its Foundation
For over 35 years, TOC has provided the highest quality orthopedic and sports medicine care in North Florida and South Georgia. TOC staff include 22 physicians with more than 200 employees, including PA’s, ARNP’s, RN’s, Certified Athletic Trainers, Certified Orthotics and an extensive support team of medical and technical assistants. TOC provides a comprehensive Sports Medicine Program, a Regional Concussion Center, MRI services, an Orthotics and Prosthetics Division, Physical Therapy and an Outpatient Surgery Center.
In the News
- Walk-In Clinic Open 6 Days a Week
- 2017 Martin Shipman Award of Excellence
- 2017 Outstanding Employee of the Year
- TOC Now Has Moved!
- Pediatric Idiopathic Scoliosis Clinic
- Welcome, Dr. Zirgibel!
- TOC Upgrades to New Electronic Medical Records System
- Welcome, Dr. Hewitt!
- Physician Leaving Practice
- TOC Now Change: Same Day Appointments
- Now Offering Complimentary Valet Parking
- Walk-In Clinic, TOC Now Change of Hours
- 2016 Outstanding Employee of the Year Award
- Tobacco and Musculoskeletal Health
- Welcome Dr. Bryant!
- No Regrets
- Concussions: Don’t Let Your Guard Down!
- 2015 Martin Shipman Award of Excellence
- Pain Relief During The Winter
- Ankle Sprains: Preventing and Treating an Injury
- Preparing for the Fall
- Chiles baseball hosts TOC Tournament of Champions
- Leon County, Big Bend Pop Warner Certified by USA Football as a Heads Up Football Program
- Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic Hires Preeminent Expert in Concussion Management