Concussions: Don’t Let Your Guard Down!
It’s official: football season has come to a close. And with the end of the football season, the concern over concussions seems to take some time off as well.
But just because you’re not tackling your friends on the field doesn’t mean your head isn’t at risk. According to the CDC, the leading cause of traumatic brain injury is falls, followed by motor vehicle accidents (see their full breakdown of causes here). So don’t let your awareness of concussion drop off just because football is over. At The Concussion Center, we see injuries caused by a variety of accidents, not just those that happen in sports, and there’s a few things we’d like you to remember.
First, the bad news, the symptoms of concussion can affect your quality of life, no matter what your age or daily activities. Even things like a trip to the grocery store or a walk around busy school hallways can make someone suffering from a concussion feel bad. Headache, dizziness, blurry vision, light or noise sensitivity, feeling tired or fatigued, and difficulty with attention or memory are just a few of the common symptoms of concussion that can get in the way of you living a normal life. And the worst part: trying to push through concussion symptoms can cause them to get worse and stick around longer!
But don’t worry, there is light at the end of tunnel! The good news, is that there are things we can do to encourage a quicker concussion recovery (sitting in a dark, quiet room for 2 weeks is not the answer). If you or someone you know might be suffering from a concussion, no matter what the cause, we can help! Studies have even shown that the quicker you get evaluated by someone trained in concussion, the quicker you’ll recover. And no one wants to live with concussion longer than they have to.
You might not have the benefit of a trained medical professional on the sidelines of your life every day, but that doesn’t mean you can’t look out for the signs. Don’t let the end of football season be the end of the conversation on concussion. Visit our website for more information.
About the Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic and its Foundation
For over 35 years, TOC has provided the highest quality orthopedic and sports medicine care in North Florida and South Georgia. TOC staff include 27 physicians with more than 300 employees, including PA’s, ARNP’s, RN’s, Certified Athletic Trainers, Certified Orthotics and an extensive support team of medical and technical assistants. TOC provides a comprehensive Sports Medicine Program, a Regional Concussion Center, MRI services, an Orthotics and Prosthetics Division, Physical Therapy and an Outpatient Surgery Center.
In the News
- TOC Relay For Life Team Raises $1K
- Dr. Guyer Patient Testimonial
- TOC @ Thomasville Welcomes Dr. Alvarez, Dr. Guyer, Dr. Oberste and Dr. Thornberry!
- TOC Employees Donate to Big Bend Coalition
- Dr. Todd Hewitt is Now Seeing Patients in Thomasville
- Dr. Wong awarded 2019 I.B. Harrison, M.D. Humanitarian Award
- Dr. Ryan Price is Now Seeing Patients in Thomasville
- Dr. Matthew Lee is Now Seeing Patients in Thomasville
- Meet Bill Elkins - TOC @ Thomasville
- Exciting News for our Marianna Clinic!
- NEW HOURS AT TOC NOW WALK IN CLINIC
- Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic @ Thomasville
- TOC Employee loses 79+ pounds on Ideal Protein
- New Clinic Hours
- Ideal Protein at TOC
- TOC Holiday Hours
- TOC Adopts 15 Children for Christmas
- TOC collects over 200 blankets to hurricane victims
- Dr. Price, TOC’s Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon, in the news!
- Post Hurricane Michael Update
- MRI RE-OPENS
- Important Weather Update - Hurricane Michael
- Important Weather Update - Hurricane Michael
- Welcome Dr. Price, our new Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon!
- Tuesday, September 25th TOC Now will be closing at 5pm
- Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic Welcomes Three Sub-Specialty Trained Orthopedic Doctors
- Welcome, Dr. Babl!
- Welcome, Dr. Porter!
- Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic Plans New Clinic
- Walk-In Clinic Open 6 Days a Week
- 2017 Martin Shipman Award of Excellence
- 2017 Outstanding Employee of the Year
- TOC Now Has Moved!
- Pediatric Idiopathic Scoliosis Clinic
- Welcome, Dr. Zirgibel!
- TOC Upgrades to New Electronic Medical Records System
- Welcome, Dr. Hewitt!
- Physician Leaving Practice
- TOC Now Change: Same Day Appointments
- Now Offering Complimentary Valet Parking
- Walk-In Clinic, TOC Now Change of Hours
- 2016 Outstanding Employee of the Year Award
- Tobacco and Musculoskeletal Health
- Welcome Dr. Bryant!
- No Regrets
- Concussions: Don’t Let Your Guard Down!
- 2015 Martin Shipman Award of Excellence
- Pain Relief During The Winter
- Ankle Sprains: Preventing and Treating an Injury
- Preparing for the Fall
- Chiles baseball hosts TOC Tournament of Champions
- Leon County, Big Bend Pop Warner Certified by USA Football as a Heads Up Football Program
- Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic Hires Preeminent Expert in Concussion Management