Ankle Sprains: Preventing and Treating an Injury
Just how common is an ankle sprain? Approximately 25,000 people experience it each day! Although ankle sprains are one of the most common injuries faced by anyone who participates in sports and exercise, a person can sprain their ankle by simply stepping wrong. If you have pain from an ankle sprain or want to keep one from happening, it is important to follow the information in this article.
What is an ankle sprain?
An ankle sprain is an injury that results when the foot twists, rolls or turns beyond its normal motions, which stretches or tears the ligaments of the ankle joint.
What can you do to avoid ankle sprains?
Although ankle sprains are a common injury, there are things you can do to help prevent yourself from having an injury.
- Warm up before you exercise or play sports
- Wear appropriate footwear
- Maintain good strength, muscle balance and flexibility
If you’ve sprained your ankle, what should you do?
Many of our physicians recommend the RICE Method:
- Rest - It is important to rest and protect your injured or sore area.
- Ice – By icing your injury, this should reduce pain and swelling. Apply ice or cold pack right away to prevent or minimize swelling. Apply the ice or cold pack for 10 to 20 minutes, 3 or more times a day.
- Compression- Compression, or wrapping the injured or sore area with an elastic bandage (such as an Ace wrap), will help decrease swelling. Be careful not to wrap it too tightly though!
- Elevation – Elevate the injured or sore area on pillows while applying ice and anytime you are sitting or lying down. Try to keep the area at or above the level of your heart to help minimize swelling.
When should you seek medical care?
It is important to seek medical care if you have suffered an ankle injury and are not able to put weight on your foot, have a lot of bruising around the injury or if you are in severe pain.
When you incur pain or injury, the foot and ankle specialists at TOC are here to get you back on your feet.
About the Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic and its Foundation
For over 35 years, TOC has provided the highest quality orthopedic and sports medicine care in North Florida and South Georgia. TOC staff include 22 physicians with more than 200 employees, including PA’s, ARNP’s, RN’s, Certified Athletic Trainers, Certified Orthotics and an extensive support team of medical and technical assistants. TOC provides a comprehensive Sports Medicine Program, a Regional Concussion Center, MRI services, an Orthotics and Prosthetics Division, Physical Therapy and an Outpatient Surgery Center.
In the News
- TOC @ Thomasville Welcomes Dr. Alvarez, Dr. Guyer, Dr. Oberste and Dr. Thornberry!
- TOC Employees Donate to Big Bend Coalition
- Dr. Todd Hewitt is Now Seeing Patients in Thomasville
- Dr. Wong awarded 2019 I.B. Harrison, M.D. Humanitarian Award
- Dr. Ryan Price is Now Seeing Patients in Thomasville
- Dr. Matthew Lee is Now Seeing Patients in Thomasville
- Meet Bill Elkins - TOC @ Thomasville
- Exciting News for our Marianna Clinic!
- NEW HOURS AT TOC NOW WALK IN CLINIC
- Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic @ Thomasville
- TOC Employee loses 79+ pounds on Ideal Protein
- New Clinic Hours
- Ideal Protein at TOC
- TOC Holiday Hours
- TOC Adopts 15 Children for Christmas
- TOC collects over 200 blankets to hurricane victims
- Dr. Price, TOC’s Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon, in the news!
- Post Hurricane Michael Update
- MRI RE-OPENS
- Important Weather Update - Hurricane Michael
- Important Weather Update - Hurricane Michael
- Welcome Dr. Price, our new Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon!
- Tuesday, September 25th TOC Now will be closing at 5pm
- Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic Welcomes Three Sub-Specialty Trained Orthopedic Doctors
- Welcome, Dr. Babl!
- Welcome, Dr. Porter!
- Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic Plans New Clinic
- Walk-In Clinic Open 6 Days a Week
- 2017 Martin Shipman Award of Excellence
- 2017 Outstanding Employee of the Year
- TOC Now Has Moved!
- Pediatric Idiopathic Scoliosis Clinic
- Welcome, Dr. Zirgibel!
- TOC Upgrades to New Electronic Medical Records System
- Welcome, Dr. Hewitt!
- Physician Leaving Practice
- TOC Now Change: Same Day Appointments
- Now Offering Complimentary Valet Parking
- Walk-In Clinic, TOC Now Change of Hours
- 2016 Outstanding Employee of the Year Award
- Tobacco and Musculoskeletal Health
- Welcome Dr. Bryant!
- No Regrets
- Concussions: Don’t Let Your Guard Down!
- 2015 Martin Shipman Award of Excellence
- Pain Relief During The Winter
- Ankle Sprains: Preventing and Treating an Injury
- Preparing for the Fall
- Chiles baseball hosts TOC Tournament of Champions
- Leon County, Big Bend Pop Warner Certified by USA Football as a Heads Up Football Program
- Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic Hires Preeminent Expert in Concussion Management